This Panoramic X-ray is especially effective in the following areas:
1. Fractures of the teeth and/or jaws can be seen when it is difficult to open your mouth
2. Viewing development, position, and eruption of primary teeth so we can see all your child’s baby teeth and permanent teeth at one time
3. For individuals who have difficulty holding x-ray films in their mouth
4. Diagnosing Temporomandibular Joint (Jaw hinge) dysfunction
5. Viewing impacted wisdom teeth
6. Detecting presence of bone or gum diseases
7. Diagnosing early signs of oral cancer
8. Discovering nonmalignant tumors
9. Surveying the sinus region
10. Discovering stones in the salivary glands
11. Examining trauma patients
12. Screening for stroke, osteitis deformans, hyperparathyroidism and other systemic diseases.
13. Obtaining baseline data for long term dental health
14. Diagnostic data for referring dentist to use
15. Critical for setting broken facial bones
16. Identification in case of an accident
17. Provide valuable information about signs of carotid calcification. Alveolar bone loss as assessed from PMXs is associated with cardiovascular diseases.**
18. Evaluation for full or partial removable dentures, dental implants, or braces.
19. Alternative for those who can not tolerate other types of films, gaggers.
20. New patients to help screen for diseases beyond just the teeth.
21. Screening for osteoporosis postmenopausal women may lose as much as 20% of their bone mass within
5-7 years postmenopause. 1 in 4 men have osteoporosis after the age of 50. 55% of people over 50 have osteoporosis.
22. Metastases to jaws. Carcinomas of the brest, lung, prostate, thyroid glad, kidney, and colon may produce cyst-like growth.
23. Genetic abnormalities.
24. Developmental abnormalities-cleft palate.
25. Asymmetry of the Oral and Maxillofacial area which could be caused by swelling on one side of the face such as seen in eating disorders.
26. Altered nerve sensation-paresthesia in lip, or hypersensitivity which could be caused by infectious osteomyelitis or a malignancy compressing a nerve.
27. Pain-find cause and location of pain.
28. Ill fitting dentures- due to alveolar bone loss.